Normal blood work,no ubiquinol production.Normal?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi! I am from Mauritius (african origin), a man of 59, 1m70, 60kgs, BP12/8 and in rather good health.

For last 5yrs I follow Food Combinning (not mixing carb with protein at the same meal), stop drinking milk. At times I take multi vit, drink my tea with either cardamom, ginger or cinnamon. I am now taking sprouted mung beans at breakfast. I cook my rice with curcuma. I ride bicycle everyday 15-30mins.
I get my blood tested since last 10yrs, and the last week results are rather fine:
Haemoglobin 14.0g/dl
Total leucocyte count 7200/ul
ESR (westergren) 23mm/1st hr
Glucose 6.9
Urea 3.9
Uric acid 285
Cholesterol 4.1
Triglycerides 0.5
HDL 1.2
LDL 2.8

My point is:
According to latest research, my body is not able to produce Ubiquinol at this age. As ubiquinol does a very important work - refer:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubiquinol#Nutrient_function_summary>

do I need to take Ubiquinol as supplement (if yes for how long?).
By the way I have taken 100mg ubiquinol daily for last 2mths. I have not seen any marked effect, may be the dose is too low.
Thank you. Sorry for this lengthly question.
XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 hours later
Hello

I am glad to learn you are very health conscious.

Your blood reports are at the age 59 are good .

You are very particular towards your diets & regular cycling ( a good exercise.)

Ubiquinol is an antioxidant and co enzyme in the form of CoQ10 and is essential for mitochondrial synthesis of energy.

It is the lipid soluble antioxidant that is synthesized by the body . It protects cell membranes against lipid peroxidation or age related damage and helps in the synthesis of other antioxidants such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E.

Ubiquinol have many functions that have impact on cardiovascular system health, neuronal cell metabolism, kidney health, and genes related to lipid or lipoprotein metabolism and inflammation.

Deficiency is generally not seen in active persons and persons doing regular exercise.

Normal healthy person generally don't need supplement.

It is used in male infertility for improving semen quality & sperm motility 100-150 mg once daily for minimum 3-6 months .

As its effects are at the level of metabolism ,no clearly visible effect or impact is noticed or seen .

At dose of 100-150 mg per day is the optimum dose . you can continue for another 2-3 months.

It is available in foods also like beef ,pork ,orange ,broccoli ,Chicken.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Normal blood work,no ubiquinol production.Normal? 4 hours later
Hi!
But my concern is that my body in not able to produce ubiquinol, so I am probably lacking this enzyme.

On the other end, since the production stops naturally, do I need it as supplement or can I go without?

What about the good work it was doing viz:

"It is the lipid soluble antioxidant that is synthesized by the body . It protects cell membranes against lipid peroxidation or age related damage and helps in the synthesis of other antioxidants such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E. etc"

Sorry for insisting

bye XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 9 hours later

Nice to hear from you again.

If one`s body stops producing or produces inadequate amount of ubiquinol, supplementation is needed to do away the bad effects of free radicals.

As ubiquinol has been shown to be beneficial to the health for heart, neurons and kidneys, supplementation is not without benefit.

The highest concentrations of CoQ10 have been detected in the heart, so supplemental ubiquinol is good for those wanting to support healthy heart function.

CoQ10 also functions as antioxidant, providing protection for the brain, immune system, arteries, and other tissues.

It has been seen that it has some anti aging effects also.

Hope I have answered your query

Wish you Good Health.

Follow-up: Normal blood work,no ubiquinol production.Normal? 3 hours later
Hello Doctor!

One last question!

I have vertigo when I stand up from a sitting or low position, for example - when I sit on my heels and look in the kitchen cupboard. My forehead becomes hot, I feel dizzy and must not walk else I fall. But the whole thing lasts for some 10 secs. I don't get it when I XXXXXXX up in the morning.

What is this? Any medication? Can it be harmful/dangerous if left untreated?

Bye XXXXXXX

Hello XXXXXXX
Nice to see you again

Vertigo is a sensation of spinning while stationary or not in motion . It is commonly seen with vomiting or nausea, unsteadiness, and excessive perspiration.

Recurrent attacks or episodes in those with vertigo is common and they may impair the quality of life.

Vertigo can be due to many causes , cervical spondylitis is the common cause around 60years of age.

Feeling dizzy and must not walk or will fall are the sign & symptoms seen in vertigo.

Orthostatic hypotension can also cause such symptoms.

Orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension also cause head rush and dizziness spell.

In this person's blood pressure suddenly falls when the person stands up or stretches.

The decrease in blood pressure is greater than 20/10 mm Hg, and most pronounced after resting.

The incidence increases with age.

So in such cases investigation and specialist opinion can help and it should never be under estimated..

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”