Non smoker, exercises regularly, BP range, anxiety

I've been tracking my bp steadily for about a year now and have found it within a range of 110/70 - 143/93. Most often (above 90%) of the time it is beneath 130/85. I've found that anxiety raises it and it seems the more I take it the more anxiety I get over it. Is my range normal and how often should I be taking it?

Otherwise I am perfectly healthy, a non smoker and exercise regularly.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 32 minutes later

An average of 3 BP recordings are taken to decide the BP of an indiviual ,since it varies frequently to eliminate the error an average is considered.

Here is the accepted guidelines for hypertension values :

Blood Pressure Level (mmHg)
Category      Systolic            Diastolic

1)Normal      < 120      and      < 80

2)Prehypertension      120-139      or      80-89

3)High Blood Pressure

A)Stage 1 Hypertension      140–159      or      90–99

B)Stage 2 Hypertension      160      or      100

The Blood pressure recordings should be taken when the individual lies down for 5min and remains calm to avoid the influence of the anxiety on the recording.

The BP reading of less than 130/85 is normal, and you can take 3 readings in a day and take the average of the 3, this reading will be accurate instead of single reading.

Continue your exercise, eat food with less salt ,do meditation for 10-15 min surely this will help you in keeping your blood pressure in the normal range.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Non smoker, exercises regularly, BP range, anxiety 16 minutes later
basically i believe i just have an anxiety about medical subjects, but in simple terms, do i have anything to be worried about?
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 33 minutes later
Hi Again,

Thanks for your follow up query.

I find nothing to be worried as your BP recordings are in normal range.
Avoid anxiety as much as possible because this may alone cause high BP.
Avoid stress of any kind and exercise regularly.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.