Non small cell cancer. On chemotherapy, gemcitabine, tarceva. CT scan shows malignant ascites. Life expectancy?
User rating for this question
my wife has non small cell cancer for 3 years,has been on chemo with different drugs such as gemcitabine,tarceva,pemetrexed ,n currently on a clinical trial tablets called BR26 for 6 weeks n now she has ascites by recent CT saying " new loculated ascites with peritonesl enhancement n omental thickening suspicious malignant ascites." 4 month ago 1.6 litre fluid drained out of her chest,what is her life expetancy
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
I am sorry to hear about your wife.
What I could gather from your summary is that she is suffering from advanced lung cancer and she has failed multiple lines of therapy including chemotherapy (gemcitabine, pemetrexed, and probably cisplatin/carboplatin) and targeted therapy (Tarceva).
The BR26 trial is probably about blocking a novel receptor, but unfortunately she has progressed on that also.
At this stage the focus of treatment should be upon palliating her symptoms rather than controlling the tumor.
Though it is hard to predict the life expectancy, I think the life expectancy at this stage would be around 2-3 months.
Please let me know if I could be of any help.
Thanks for the query.
People also viewed
- Hot red cheeks in adults
- Chronic idiopathic neutropenia in adults
- Fever after quitting smoking
- Ct scan show colon cancer
- Malignant ascites life expectancy
- How long to clear lungs after smoking
- Lungs hurt after quitting smoking
- Lungs hurt after smoking
- Tethered cord release for adult
- Causes of hypothermia in adults
- Ct scan showing pancreatic cancer
- Heart feels wierd after i smoke weed
- Will ct scan show cancer
- Malignant ascites in pancreatic cancer
- Blood disorder itp in adults