No periods, cramping and spotting. Stopped citalopram medication. Pregnancy tests negative

im 38 years old and my last 2 periods have come and gone but no period! I did recently stop taking my citlopram as I am unemployed and do not have insurance. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests and all come up negative. I did have slight cramping and trace blood on toilet paper when wiping a few days ago. i am worried as this has never happened before. I did just get insurance but it will be until the 15th until I can see a physician. no other real symptoms apparent
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern.

At the outset I would like to reassure you that, if repeated pregnancy tests were negative, you are not pregnant.

In such case the cause could be hormonal or pathological. You should get a full hormonal profile done along with an ultrasound scan of the abdomen.

Amenorrhea at this age could be due to thyroid dysfunction, hyperprolcatenemia, ovarian cysts, hormonal dysfunction.

I suggest that you see your physician after the 15th, as there is no hurry and it is not an emergent condition, and get these tests done to get a better idea of the probable diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have any further concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: No periods, cramping and spotting. Stopped citalopram medication. Pregnancy tests negative 24 hours later
Are their any symptoms I should watch out for?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 minutes later
Hi again XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow-up.

You should watch out for a few symptoms,

1. Any fever.
2. Severe bleeding per vagina.
3. Sever pain in the abdomen/Severe cramping.

If you develop any of these, you should consult your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.