No hunger sensation, heartburn, burping, done CT scan, sonogram, had abdominal pain. Vagus nerve damage?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Dear Drs.
I had undiagonized abdominal pain about 2 months ago and was waiting for endoscope. The pain lasted a couple of weeks and was then gone. I had ct scan and sonogram with no diagnosis. Last week I had strange sensation in my upper stomach like a muscle 'popping'. Now I have no sensation of hunger - no spasms or rumbling. I can only eat a small amount of food at a time and it seems to stick in my esophagus and cause heartburn. I can drink water. I am burping a lot if i eat or drink.
I have had ok bowel movements up to yesterday. I think my stomach is not communicating with me any more. I am reading online and see this could be vagus nerve damage. What could cause this? Can it be treated? I have an appt with the GI tomorrow with these new symptoms. (Could it be lower esophogus sphincter issue? I have not had this sensation before of not feeling hungry)
Thank you if you can give me some help.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 hours later

Early satiety, bloating, frequent burping with a normal CT indicates a reduced compliance of the upper part of the stomach called the fundus. Reduced compliance may be secondary to 'gastritis with or without ulcer'.

Food sticking in esophagus and heartburn indicate a 'reflux' disease. Lower esophageal sphincter incontinence or hiatus hernia are one of the several factors associated with reflux.

CT scan is a poor modality to look at either of these conditions. "Endoscopy is the investigation of choice".

Vagal nerve damage is usually secondary to long standing diabeties or nerve diseases and is rare as compared to the above discussed problems. Hence I do not think vagal nerve injuries to be the cause here.

Hence go consult your Gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy with testing for helicobacter pylori. This test will make things clearer.

Hope this is helpful. If there are any more queries, I will be available to answer them.