Ask a Urologist   »  

No bowel movement and urination after taking albendazole. Normal? What can be done?

Jul 2016

Hi Doctor,
My son took albendazole yesterday night, since then he have not passed urine and no bowel movement also. Is there anything to worry? Normally he will urinate 7-8 times/day. But from morning he passed only once, at 11am. Kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your son who is 3 years old has been taking Oxetol 150 mg for seizures ,His present problem is not due to side effect of Oxetol.

He has taken Tab Albendazole (Dewormin) yesterday and has passed urine only once since morning.
I shall be happy if you post me few more details to help me in making comments on his problem.
1) Does he have pain in abdomen?
2) Does he have vomiting ?
In absence of these symptoms it is most likely to be a coincidence .You can certainly observe for couple of hours more to see whether he passes urine or not.

In case he does not pass urine in 12 hours Please consult your paediatrician for clinical evaluation and following investigations as Albendazole is known to cause side effect of Acute Renal failure very rarely.

1) Catheterise the child and send urine for routine urine test.
2) Renal function test to assess kidney function.

Please give him plenty of water .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: No bowel movement and urination after taking albendazole. Normal? What can be done? 12 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your kind reply. Usually he drinks a lot of water but the water intake is very less today. He does not have vomiting sensation or abdominal pain either. He looks active and normal. The weather is so chill here. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later
Thanks for feedback.
If the child id active, wait for few hours more .Please give him more fluids
Do not worry or get panic .He is bound to pass urine.
Thanks and Regards.