Newborn has white spots on penis after circumcision. Could this be a fungal infection? How common is this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
white spots on newborn penis a week after circumcision. Could this be a fungal infection? How common is this?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
I have seen the picture attached with this query. It seems to be due to the regrowing skin of the penis. Fungal infections are also not uncommon in the area but these usually subside with the ointments like miconazole that you are already using.
You can apply petroleum jelly and see if it soothes your child. Usually such minor skin changes are self limiting and do subside on their own within two weeks.
In case these spots spread or look reddish then you need to consult his pediatrician for further treatment.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.