Never had sexual intercourse or masturbated. Is my hymen still intact?

Question
hi
I want to know if my hymen is still intact, am XXXXX by name and am 21.. I have never had any sexual intercourse, and I have never masturbated before. I tried locating my hymen using a mirror, but am very confused as to where it is. I took a picture of it, if you don't mind I could send you the pictures, so you help me take a look at it and tell me if my hymen is still intact.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The hymen is a fleshy membrane that surrounds or partially covers the external vaginal opening. T he hymen is usually crescent moon shaped at the lower part of the vaginal opening. From the picture it is not very clear but it looks intact. You can get it checked from a gynecologist who will physically examine the area.

The hymen may be damaged by intercourse,playing sports, using tampons, pelvic examinations or even straddle injuries. So you should not worry.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.