Neural foraminal stenosis of thoracic spine, hypertrophy of L4/L5, degenerative antral listhesis of C5/C6, treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
how is neural foraminal stenosis of the thoracic spine treated? what is facet hypertrophy and ligamenrum flavum hypertrophy of L4/L5 level mean? what is degenerative antral listhesis of C5 with respect to C6?
5'4', 225#, 56 yo. Have severe bladder incontinence and have had 7 surgeries for this. numbness bil arms
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 38 minutes later
Hello Madam,

The treatment of neural foraminal stenosis depends upon the degree of involvement and symptoms. If you are asymptomatic, it could be left alone. I am sure, the doctors would have explained you the cause of bladder incontinence. Is it an anomaly like that of the uterus or is it neurogenic bladder?

Facetal hypertrophy is a degenerative change in the spine which occurs as a result of instability or Osteoarthritis. It can occur due to aging or due to some instability of the spine.

Degenerative antral listhesis means slipping of your 5th vertebral body over the 6th one due to degenerative spinal disease.

Please quote me the problems you face now with respect to your back/spine.

The numbness in your arms could be most likely due to the degenerative spinal disease that's affecting your nerves coming from the spinal cord and supplying your arm.
- Is there any weakness in your legs/ knees/ arms?

I could help you out better if you could mail me your X-rays and MRI report to me at " YYYY@YYYY " with subject line as "ATTN - Dr.Sangeet".

Thank You. I will be available for your follow up queries.