Need medicine to postpone periods with minimal side effect

I am going out of station for 12 days starting from 24th XXXXXXX 2012. My mentrual cycle date is 25th XXXXXXX My periods are normal. wI want to postpone my date for 15 days. Someone suggested me deviry or duphaston. Please suggest which medicine i can take having minimal side effects and from which date i have to start taking medicine.
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Thanks for consulting us.
Please note that that all the drugs used for menstrual postponement contain hormones & no one is without side effects.
Deviry contains medroxyprogetserone & Duphaston contains dydrogesterone. For delaying periods, both should be started at least one week before the expected date of periods & should then be continued for the the desired period. You may expect your period 3-5 days after you stop taking the pill. Dose may differ depending upon many factors.
These drugs may cause menstrual irregularities, headaches, weight gain, abdominal bloating, depression, tiredness, skin reactions, drowsiness, change in appetite & breast tenderness etc.
Therefore it is important to get a prescription from a Gynecologist after full clinical judgement as this will also give her / him an opportunity to rule out any contraindication in your case & prescribe you the drug that is best suited for you in a dose that is more likely to solve your problem ( as taking these hormones may not be a suitable option for some women ).
Moreover there are other options like birth control pills that may have lesser side effects. Your doctor may suggest you these options after reviewing your clinical history.
So, I strongly recommend you to see a Gynecologist to get a formal prescription & avoid self medications for your good health.
Hope I answered your query as far as is permissible in an ehealth forum. If you want to ask any question you are welcome.
Wish you good health.
Best Regards.