Need information on Pulse polio programme. What is the dosage?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
can you please educate me about 'Pulse poli programme'?

is this the vaccination, other than regular polio vaccination?

how many doses of pulse-polio drop is required, in anybody's life?

one time pulse-polio drop is enough for a child or everytime a child has to be administrered 'pulse-polio-drop', if he/she is below age of 5?

i was thinking regular vaccination of polio was sufficient, please correct me if I m wrong?

Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
You are right in saying that regular polio Injectable(IPV) plus oral (OPV)immunisation i.e at birth,6,10,14 weeks and booster at 11/2 yrs is adequate to protect an individual.
However please try to understand that pulse polio programme is started by the government of india to eradicate polio from our country.
It is called pulse polio because its purpose is to give the vaccine to all children under 5 yrs of age on the same day creating a massive herd immunity due to which the polio virus cannot survive as all the host (children) required for its survival carry the immunity given by the vaccine.
India has just completed one full year of zero cases of polio recorded and hence has intensified this programme so that we can drive away this virus completely or eradicate it and become polio free like other developed nations.There is no particular limit to the no of doses of pulse polio required in an individual.The frequency is decided by the research data in that particular city.For eg in Mumbai currently there is a mop up immunisation phase and hence the vaccine is being given almost once every month, however the situation might be different in other states.
To contribute to such a important cause it is advisable that each child take the pulse polio vaccine
in addition to the routine immunisation every time and since it has no adverse effects it's only
going to give your child a safer future.
If people start skipping the pulse polio thinking that their child is safe and does not require the vaccine it is a possible threat to the community of survival of the polio virus.
Hence please do take the pulse polio vaccine whenever advised as per the programme till 5 yrs of age.
Hope I have answered your query.