Need clarification that I have been sexually harassed at work. Touching breast, groping. What do you think?

i have been sexually harrassed at work i need clarification that i have been harrassed. I need to explain a couple of incidents. I realize this place might not be the best pleace to ask these questions but i just need to know for my own piece of mind so i know by reporting him to my bosses i have done the right thing i have already told them and they have assured me that what he has done to me was wrong but i still need to hear it from somone else who doesnt know me. This man in question touches my breast and gropes me down below without permission i have to take hold of his wrist to get him off me. He's pushed me in to corners and tried to touch me again i had to push him off. Also another time he's actually physically put his hand down my trousers again wihtout permission. Even when i asked he to stop touching me he continued groping and should his erect penis to me when i was walking away. On sevral occasion during work he's asked me to give him blowjobs and told me to say "f**k me!" to him. I refused all of this. He's also asked to borrow money from me and asked to use personall money accounts in my name. Again i refused. All the time saying to me i must not tell anyone about this. Please tell me what you think im getting desprat and finding it hard to live with my self. im having alot of suicidal thoughts and am extremely unhappy!!!
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh 3 hours later

It is unfortunate that you have to go through this. I am sure you are aware of the definition of sexual harassment at work and the law regarding the same. In keeping with the definition, whatever behaviour this person has been showing actually does count as sexual harassment. His advances are unwelcome, of sexual nature, pervasive and affect the work environment for you. There is no doubt that this is sexual harassment.

It is recommended that you follow up with your complaint with the department you work for. By law, your company/department must have a Grievances Procedure in place. If this problem is not solved on a local level, you can lodge a formal complaint. You should also keep copies of the complaint.

I hope this answers your main query as to whether this is sexual harassment or not. Would you like to discuss further about how it is affecting your peace of mind? You have noted in this query that you have suicidal thoughts and are extremely unhappy. While it is not possible to provide a solution online, we may be able to organize this situation in your mind so that you can deal with it well, without letting this affect you in a negative way.

Please let me know if you need more help. Meanwhile, take care and be safe.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD