Neck stiffness, pain at the back of skull and tingling in left arm. Symptoms of brain tumor?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I am really worried that I might have a brain tumor. In the last three weeks I have had on and off again neck stiffness and sometimes pain at the bottom back of my skull. I had an xray of my neck down when I went to the ER, and they said my neck was ok, but I needed to check with my primary. Last week Monday I was vomiting and had diarrhea. I went to my primary and she put me on acid reflux medication which seems to have helped the situation. I am still experiencing a little nausea. I also have tingling that comes and goes in my left arm. I am worried about it as these symptoms do not seem to be going away. I have a CT for my abdomen and pelvis this Thursday. Hopefully they can figure out what is going on with my stomach. Can all these issues be caused by a brain tumor? Should I cancel the CT of the abdomen and have one done on my head first? I am 32 years old and this is first signs on these symptoms that I have had.
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms do not suggest a brain tumor

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern and anxiety, however, I would like to point out that your symptoms are not specific for a brain tumor.

These symptoms are most likely due to a pinched nerve in the neck region, due to a slipped disc.

So, I do not think there is an urgent need to do CT or MRI of brain; however, if you are concerned, then, it may be done.

Signs that could warrant a scan of brain to exclude brain tumor would include:

Headache on waking up in morning,

vomiting without nausea that relieves the headaches,

Blurred vision or double vision with severe headache,

Seizures or fits affecting one side of body,

Weakness or numbness of one side of body.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Neck stiffness, pain at the back of skull and tingling in left arm. Symptoms of brain tumor? 17 hours later
Today I went to work as usual and I felt good for a couple of hours. Not normal, but ok. Around lunch time I received a phone call and was talking and started to feel real sick, I vomited a little in my mouth and went to sit down. I took a pill the doctor gave me for nausea and it seemed to work. The pain in my neck has been going on all day and it started to make my left side of my head tingle. I almost decided to go to the emergency room when I called my wife and she told me to come home and rest. I have been resting, but the neck pain is still there and a little of the tingling still exists. My middle back also hurts. I keep telling her that I think this is a brain tumor, she wants me to wait till my doctor appointment next Monday to descibe my symptoms to her. I dont know if I can wait thay long, I am really nervous.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Your current symptoms are still most likely due to a pinched nerve in the neck region.

You would benefit from taking medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin.

I would feel that you can wait till Monday, however, as I said earlier that if you are concerned about brain tumor, or if you develop any of the symptoms that I described earlier, you could get a CT scan of the brain done.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Neck stiffness, pain at the back of skull and tingling in left arm. Symptoms of brain tumor? 2 days later
I had a CT done on Friday and rhe results came back negative for a brain tumor or brain bleed. The doctor said that I have tension built up from just having a baby and from my work schedule. I should be pretty confident that it is not a brain tumor at this point correct?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with the good news that the CT brain was normal.
So, you can be pretty confident now that there is no brain tumor at this point.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)