Neck crunched by sitting down hard. Could this be dangerous?

I sat down very hard and my neck crunched-could this be dangerous?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The crunching noise in the neck after a fall if it is not associated with any pain or neck stiffness is not worrisome. It is due to the gliding of joints as you turn your neck. If your joint has been injured or becomes inflamed, the surface may thicken, creating a rubbing sound as you move. A courser noise may indicate more advanced changes in the surfaces of one or more joints.
An MRI of neck will help in diagnosing any injury or inflammation in the area.
You can consult your orthopedician if the crunching noise persists.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.