Neck cancer, liver cancer, chemotherapy. Prognosis and survival chances ?

hi my sister as been told she as neck cancer 5 weeks ago she ad a mri scan 2 weeks ago on her liver it as gone to there aswell, she is gona start chemo next week, how long can she live with treating it
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Follow-up: Neck cancer, liver cancer, chemotherapy. Prognosis and survival chances ? 3 minutes later
with treatment how long, can she go on for , she as stopped the drinkin, she aws put on a detox in hospital for a week
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will need some more information about your sister before I can provide information and helpful recommendations.

You indicate in your question that she was diagnosed with neck cancer. This is a very broad category and could include several different types of cancer. If you have any copies of reports including biopsies and imaging. These will be extremely helpful for me to review. You can send those to my attention at doctor@ WWW.WWWW.WW

The fact that your sister has problems with alcoholism does complicate things a little bit. Alcoholism can create a chronic degree of liver dysfunction which causes problems with medications as well as with bleeding from time to time. I know there is a lot that is probably going on with your sister and that this is a very stressful time for you. Before I can comment any further on what appropriate treatments are available and what kind of results you might expect I really need to see what the reports say and what the actual biopsy showed.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns please include those with the updated information which I have requested.

Dr. Robert.
Follow-up: Neck cancer, liver cancer, chemotherapy. Prognosis and survival chances ? 46 hours later
they havent shown us the biopsy report, just said there is a tumor in er throat attached to her toncil tounge and throat , and it as caused secoundry cancer on her liver, she starts chemo, aweek on monday to try and shrink the tumorsthen they said they will give radiation on her throat, i just wanted to know how long she can carry on with treatment , they said they can treat her but no cure her thanks
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later

Thank you for your response and follow up information regarding your sister.

As your sister's doctors have told you and her, the cancer that they have found is not curable. However there are several different modalities of treatment which can be used to help prolong both the links and quality of her life.

As far as the radiation and chemotherapy are concerned they are difficult to tolerate but you are effective at controlling the disease. At some point she may develop some difficulty swallowing and he may need to give her a feeding tube whopper throat heels.

Regarding the chemotherapy, this will have side effects as well which includes nausea as well as hair loss and sometimes it does affect the blood cells and for doctors will follow all of this very closely to help make her more comfortable and to help lessen any significant side effects.

As far as prognosis is concerned, it is really impossible to predict in every patient. As physicians we tried to process this on a daily basis in order to give people updates about how long they can expect to go on. I personally have seen people with this type of diagnosis go on for well over one year and sometimes much longer.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative.

Dr. Robert.