Neck and back pain, bone-related issues ruled out. Can it be due to nervous system?
User rating for this question
I have severe neck and back pain but i have it examined to orthopadic and physitheapiest and both ruled out for any bone related issues. can it be due to some other nervous system reason or any other reasons. Some time accidity is there.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
Neck and back pain are caused by various factors. It is not very clear what your doctor's meant "ruled out bone related issues". Perhaps they referred to spinal trauma, disc prolapse or nerve compression. Please discuss with your doctor to know the individual conditions that are ruled out and I will be able to provide you more information.
Based on the details submitted other medical causes like ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, hematological conditions need to be ruled out. Nervous symptom related problems though are unlikely to be the cause. I would suggest the following investigations if they are not done yet,
1. MRI scan of spine both T1 and T2 images,
2. HLA B-27 in serum assay,
3. DEXA scan (dual x-ray absorptiometry) to detect bone mineral density to exclude osteoporosis and osteopenia which may sometimes cause pain in women especially in your age group...
4. Complete blood count
You should consult a rheumatologist can guide you through the investigations.
Please let me aware of the facts your orthopedician and physiotherapist had already excluded.
Dr Arnab Maji
People also viewed
- Symptoms of irreversible peripheral neuropathy
- Vagina has bumps and bleeds when scratches
- Neck and back pain lightheaded
- Symptoms of comatose state
- Symptoms of spina bifida occulta
- My butt burns and bleeds
- Stinging burning eyes nose bleed
- Bone cancer back pain
- Bumps that bleed in vagina
- Neck and back pain meth
- Shoulder neck and back pain
- Symptoms of rare demyelinating disease
- Red bumpon skin that bleed on shoulder
- Symptoms of electrolyte deficiency
- Neck and back pain related to endomytriosis