My wife age 89, has Afib and is on Amiodarone

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017
Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
My wife age 89, has Afib and is on Amiodarone which controls it pretty well. Of late her HR is in the upper ninety's but her BP is normal, like 128/64, although it varies, basically it is OK. What could account for her elevated HR and normal BP? XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry as of now

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern and I would like to tell you that the normal recommended range of heart rate and blood pressure for an adult is 60 to 100 beat per min and for BP above 70 years of age should be less than 150/90 so according to that both her vitals are well with the normal range.

Now; as is a patient of A fib and her doctor has prescribed her a Holter monitoring, so once it will be done we will be able to know whether or not AF is happening transiently or not and accordingly her medicines can be adjusted and if required new one can be added.

Hopefully this will help
Kind Regards