My son has fever since two days (99.7). I had

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question
My son has fever since two days (99.7). I had given him baby gesic drops.Fever reduces
He is passing loose stool 7 times a day which is smell
He has runny nose also
I am giving him lots of water
Please advise me what else needs to be done
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Give babygesic for fever and observe

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern. Fever with both respiratory and intestinal symptoms in this age is mostly due to some viral infection.
In most of the viral infection, fever starts declining after 48-72 hours. Babygesic contains paracetamol and can be given for fever at interval of 6-8 hours in the prescribed dosage.
I won't get worried for loose stool and runny nose if baby is otherwise active, accepting feeds well, passing urine and there is no vomiting or breathing difficulties.
Continue giving fluids to maintain proper hydration. Giving zinc supplements (20 mg/day) and probiotics helps in early normalisation of stool pattern. Avoid giving milk as it may precipitates the loose stool.
In most of the cases symptoms usually decreases within 3-4 days. If you notice that baby is getting, lethargic,fever is not responding to medication, there is significant decrease in urine output or any breathing abnormality please contact your pediatrician immediately.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.