My right ear gets a sharp pain when I chew. Can online doctor help?

Question
My right ear gets a sharp pain when I chew. I can also hear my heart beat in my right ear. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the query

The description provided is insufficient. as any swelling or any associated symptoms like fever, headaches, any discharged. duration of the problem

If is probable that you might having ear infection. Kindly reply with requested information.

Thanks

Follow-up: My right ear gets a sharp pain when I chew. Can online doctor help? 35 hours later
No fever, no discharge, no swelling. The pain started about a month ago, the audible heartbeat has been going on for around six months.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 34 minutes later
Thanks for the reply

now the details that you have provided is not due to the inner ear infection but due to Eustachian tube blockage.

The Eustachian tube is short tube that drains the inner ear fluid into the nasal cavity. when the tube gets blocked there is accumulation of the fluid in the ear cavity. when there is flow of blood the systolic beat is felt through the fluid which gives you feeling of heartbeat in the ear.

Therefore it is recommended to visit the ENT doctor for proper management as you may require steroid treatment

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks