My husband has elevated liver enzymes . His primary care

Question
My husband has elevated liver enzymes. His primary care physician told him to stop drinking or he would die of liver cancer. He is being referred to a gastroenterologist ??
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Yes, it is linked to cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I understand your concern. Chronic alcohol consumption leads to cirrhosis of liver and later on cancer may develop called hepatocellular carcinoma which is quite dangerous. Best is to stop as early as as possible. Risk will reduce tremendously and livet function will return to normal.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: My husband has elevated liver enzymes . His primary care 22 hours later
But does it make sense for him to be going to a gastroenterologist?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, he should visit

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Yes , he should visit a hepatologist. He will guide how to quit alcohol and can assess liver damage.
Thanks and regards