My blood cholesterol is 228. Do I need a doctor consultation?

my blood colesterol is 228. Kindly suggest do I need a doctor consultation.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 59 minutes later
Thank you for putting up your problem to Healthcare Magic!
You are right now consulting the doctor albeit online.
Your cholesterol level is higher than acceptable to be safe.
Higher level is related to increased atherosclerosis and cardiovascular and stroke risks are much more with these levels.
First and foremost you should get your baseline cardiac status evaluated with ECG and ECHO tests.
You should modify your life style in form of daily regular exercises about 30minutes brisk walking/jogging for >3km a day at least 5days/week.
Cut down on fried foods, red meat, interval snacks, fast foods, and refined sugars and saturated fats in diet.
Include fat XXXXXXX in PUFA like safflower oil, sunflower oil, Soya oil for cooking.
Repeat the Lipid profile and get Thyroid function test early morning empty stomach levels for reference.
Whether you need any medicines would be decided at that time.
You need to start the treatment after consulting your gynecologist.
I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you