Mucus like discharge from ears, hearing loss. Taken antibiotics and steroids. Cure?

Question
1 year ago my ear doctor put tubes in my eardrums and shortly after my ears started draining clear mucus like fluid. I have tried antibiotics, steroids and taking the tubes out. The drainage has not stopped and my hearing is getting worse. Please help.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) What was your health issue? Why were tubes inserted inside your eardrums?
2.) Do you get ear pain?
3.) Is the discharge continuous or Intermittent?
4.) Do you hear any ringing in your ears?
5.) Do you get nausea, vomiting or dizziness?

Your History says you have Ruptured Ear drum or Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media (CSOM), where in there will be a hole or tear in your eardrum.

Kindly get yourself examined by a ENT Specialist so that he/she may examine you and rule out the cause and if necessary remove the tubes which were inserted. Your Doctor may also run few tests like,

1.) Blood work.
2.) Tuning fork evaluation, to rule out if you have sensorineural or conduction deafness
3.) Tympanometry.
4.) Audiology exam.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

In addition to the medications, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Keep your ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in your ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning your ears.
3.) Avoid blowing your nose.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Mucus like discharge from ears, hearing loss. Taken antibiotics and steroids. Cure? 15 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX I wanted to answer your questions about my condition. The tubes were put in my eardrums because I was having trouble hearing. The drainage is continuous, there is no ringing in my ears and I do not feel dizzy or nausous. Also I have already had all of the tests that you mentioned, yet my ear doctor cannot figure out the cause of my hearing loss or the constant drainage from my ears. Can you figure it out?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back to me.

I hope you have read my previous answer completely where I have mentioned, Your History says you have Ruptured Ear drum or Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media (CSOM), where in there will be continuous discharge from the ear secondary to infection and your hearing loss is due to this. Once the discharge is drained and the ear canal cleaned, you will be able to hear normally.

Only a ENT specialist will be able to figure it out by through physical examination and necessary tests. I would suggest get a second opinion from another ENT specialist.

Follow the lifestyle modifications which I have mentioned, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

All the Best.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Mucus like discharge from ears, hearing loss. Taken antibiotics and steroids. Cure? 25 hours later
Dr. Tauseef, my ear doctor has already drained the discharge and cleaned my ear canal. Please think harder about what this could possibly be. Also, I have been on antibiotics and steroids several times. PLEASE HELP.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for writing back to me.

Did you sustain any head injury? or had any head operation?

I would like to let you know that the common causes for ear discharge and subsequent hearing loss:

1.) Ruptured ear drum.
2.) Ear infection, abnormal bone growths or tumor.
3.) Wax accumulation.
4.) Eczema.
5.) Mastoiditis, which is the infection of mastoid bone which is present behind your external ear.

Common causes for just hearing loss include:

1.) Hereditary.
2.) Sudden exposure to loud noise.
3.) Ageing process.

Considering your history and age, the first five causes should be ruled out. Treating just the symptoms would not help, this is the reason your symptoms are not subsiding. The cause should be found out as addressed.

If you have sustained a head injury or has had a head operation, it would actually be Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) since the discharge is clear mucus like thing, it indicates damage to the skull, brain, or spine. You should get yourself evaluated at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query.

Good Luck and Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.