Mucus in stools, soft stools. Have stress, difficulty eating

I have recently had a lot of mucus when I pass a bowel movement. The bowel movements are also soft and not formed properly. I have a stressful job and am currently going through a break up - I'm struggling to eat and the more I worry the worse it gets?!
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 57 minutes later

It looks like you have some digestion issues. Ill formed stools are the effects rapid intestinal transit something seen in irritable bowel and due to reduction in the normal intestinal flora (commensal bacteria).

I suggest that you take plenty of yoghurt in your diet. Lactobacillus suppplements available over the counter will be useful. Retune the intestinal functions with simple diet consisting of high fibers (green vegetables and fruits). If symptoms don't improve stool test is in order.

Stress and reduced sleep can disturb neuroendocrine function easily. This can aggravate normal stool formation. So it is better that you learn to manage stressors well quickly.

I see that your medical history is null. Let me know if you have problems with diabetes or thyroid dysfunctions - they can be related.

I hope you get back to normal bowel functions soon. Let me know if you need clarification.