Mouth breathing, snoring. CT scan of sinuses done. Septal deviation requires surgery?

ENT Specialist
Is a septal devation of 2.5 cm considered significant ? I had a CT of sinuses recently for mouth breathing and snoring.
Is it likely that an ENT Dr would do a functional repair on Me?
Please advise.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

1. To justify a septoplasty in the sixth decade of life, your nasal obstruction should be significant.

2. It would be ideal if you could share your CT images. You can upload it in the “Upload reports” section on the right.

3. Age related changes in the cartilaginous framework of the nose may also cause the nasal valve area to reduce, causing nasal obstruction. In this case, a functional surgery will work well.

4. Similarly if there is nasal turbinate hypertrophy, radio-frequency ablation or co-ablation assisted reduction of the turbinates will achieve a similar result as a septum surgery and would cause less discomfort.

5. A sleep study may also help decide the severity of your nasal obstruction and mouth breathing.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.