Mouth and throat hurts after vomiting. Any thing to do?

it feels like i have bruised the roof of my mouth. i had a stomach bug or something on saturday and vomited rather violently a couple of times. after recovering from that, my throat and mouth hurt. my mouth still hurts and it hurts to swallow and is a constant ache. what can i do to help relieve this pain?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Recurrent vomiting may cause damage to the delicate mucosa of the throat and cause pain and ache.

Taking sips of water will help. You may try some ice cream.

Antacids may help if the problem persists.

If there is ulcer formation then local anesthetic creams prescribed by your doctor will help in reducing the pain during eating.

Hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Mouth and throat hurts after vomiting. Any thing to do? 36 minutes later
Thank you, thats very helpful. I just had a bowl of ice cream and it is feeling much better. one last question. will hot liquids irritate the soars?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 14 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Yes very hot liquids may in fact irritate the soars. So try to consume lukewarm liquids only.

Hope this helps.