Mouth and stomach sore after taking Ampicillin and Biaxin for H. pylori infection. Normal? How to ease?

I was dx with h pylori that also was populated on my tongue I took 2 cycles of tx both ampicillin and biaxin with previced tx completed. During tx tongue swelled up turned brown and then the brown sloughed off and turned beefy red then just remained very tender and stomac also. I continue on with previced thinking the bacteria infection is gone but mouth and stomac sore from tx. Is this normal? How long does this last and can I do something to ease these symptoms?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 29 hours later

You have been treated with the standard triple therapy for H pylori infection which usually afflicts the stomach.

Some people may develop an allergic reaction to the clarithromycin (Biaxin) or amoxycillin component of the triple therapy. The Signs and symptoms described by you are classical of the drug allergic reaction to clarithromycin (Biaxin).

Antibiotics also alter the gut flora and cause some bloating, flatulence and a feeling of stomach soreness. This can be reversed by using probiotics and avoiding milk for a week to 10 days to hasten the recovery.

The allergic reaction gradually settles over a fortnight and meanwhile you could use some glycerine gel and multivitamins.

Be sure to inform this to your doctor everytime you XXXXXXX him as a repeat exposure may lead to a more serious consequence.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Do write back to me if you have any further queries.