Mother has thalasemia minor. Blood test done for the child. Is the report normal?

Hi Doctor,
Pl look into the reports and advice
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 days later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!
investigations should always be seen in the light of clinical picture so please post a follow up query with some briefing about your problem.
Follow-up: Mother has thalasemia minor. Blood test done for the child. Is the report normal? 37 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

We have not encountered any kind of problem, actually my wife is Thalasemia Minor so our doctor advised us to get the blood tests done for my son aged 2yrs.

I just want your input on the findings in blood investigations.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 25 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The Peripheral blood film findings and The Electrophoresis reports depicting level of modest elevation of HbA2 and HbF are characteristic og Thalassemia Minor.
The disease is a genetic problem with recessive trait where beta chain of Hb is faulty.
These patients tend to have hemolysis when sick due to some other illnesses otherwise they are asymptomatic.
Another important finding is low serum iron levels.
It can result in add up to the trouble.
You should give Iron replacement oral in form of iron drops in supervision of a local physician.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.