Mononucleosis, fever, throat inflammation, swollen lymph nodes. Am I still contagious or is it safe to have sex?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis about 3 weeks ago when I went in to the clinic with the symptoms of fever, throat inflammation and swollen lymph nodes. The information given to me at the clinic informed me that recovery from mono is spontaneous anywhere from 10 days to 6 months. I have not had any of the physical symptoms for a couple of days now. I feel 100% without tiredness or throat discomfort or anything. When researching online I have found conflicting sources, one saying a person is contagious for months after they feel better and others saying you stop being contagious once you don't have a fever or anything anymore. Am I still contagious or is it safe at this point to resume physical contact with my girlfriend?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
In case of infectious mononucleosis, even after a full recovery, you may continue secreting the virus in your saliva intermittently throughout your life.
Most of the transmission occurs when you are asymptomatic. There is no way to find out whether you are secreting the virus or not. People who have had mono can continue to shed virus particles in their saliva during reactivations of the viral infection throughout their lifetime.
Most adults have laboratory evidence (antibodies against the EBV) indicative of a previous infection with EBV and are immune to further infection.
So if you are free of symptoms, there is no need to worry and start with your normal daily routine. You can have a physical contact with your girl friend now.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.