Mole on back reddened and swollen during pregnancy. Is it cancer?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, I was wondering if someone may help me with a problem i am experiencing with a large mole on my back?
I am 3 months pregnant and everything on my body is changing, but i woke up this morning to find that a mole i have had on my back all my life is red and swollen and painful. I have had it check in the past and it has been fine but i am now really concerned what exactly is going on and is it skin cancer.

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Pregnancy does bring about lot of hormonal changes in our body and the skin is a very hormone sensitive tissue. There may be new pigmented lesions appearing or the old ones may flare up.

Your mole has changed color, increased in size and has become tender; these changes could suggest superadded infection since they are sudden. Carcinomatous changes are more gradual and insidious in onset, yet it cannot be ruled out without thorough examination and investigations like biopsy.

So I would advise you consult your dermatologist for confirming the diagnosis and ruling out cancerous changes if needed. But chances to me look more like a benign hormone related or infectious change which should resolve with the appropriate treatment advised by your doctor.

Please do not worry as stress is harmful to the developing baby. Consult your doctor to relieve your doubts.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.