Moderate bilirubin and nitrates in the urine test. No infection. Reason?

Pulmonologist
Question
My recent (2days ago) urine test showed moderate bilirubin and nitrates culture said no infection...Blood test were normal 6 weeks ago ,I had cbc done 2 days ago showed Ba% high it was a 2 on range of 0-1 That test showed normal 6 weeks ago current blood test did not redo liver functions..

.Is bilirubin a concern Ive read none in urine so I'm very concerned.Dr didn't seem to think so since blood test ok 6 weeks ago .Is 6 weeks ago still current enough ..Why would it be detected then? Read some really "bad" stuff online regarding detetection in urine
Please advice
Thank you
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later

From your history, your concern at this time is that your urine test showed moderate bilirubin and basophil percent was on the higher side of 2%.

I would like to comment the following:

1. You need not be worried about increased basophil % at this time because it is just 1 % above and inter-lab variations and errors should be accounted for. However these might be raised in early viral infections but then the other blood counts are also raised, which is not present in your case.

2. Regarding the moderate bilirubin levels in your urine test, you should get it evaluated:

- Do you have any health complaints at present- like fever, weight loss, loss of appetite, cough, cold, pain in abdomen, etc?

- Since how long are you on excedrin?

- You need to get blood tests for peripheral smear, liver function tests, HbsAg (Hepatitis B surface Antigen) and ultrasonography of abdomen done after discussion with your Physician to rule out some causes.

- But before this, I suggest you to drink plenty of water and get your urine test repeated after 2 to 3 days. If still, it shows moderate bilirubin then you need to get investigated further. It would be better if you get it done from a different laboratory.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any follow up question. You can accept my answer if there are no follow up questions.

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB

Follow-up: Moderate bilirubin and nitrates in the urine test. No infection. Reason? 14 hours later
Thank you..Im seeing GI he ordered blood tests and stool samples..I have had some stomach issues no pain but lots of rumbling no matter if I eat or not Had direaha/fatty stools(have had fatty stools on and off for years) on and off but thats better now . My urine samples showed moderate nitrates too but culture fine...I have taken excedrin on and off for years(migraines). liver function tests showed all within normal 6 weeks ago. Do I need to repeat again? Can it change in short perpiod of time? Does Bilirubin show in urine with no known cause? Would having your period effect test? I had vaccine for Hep B years ago.Had a baby 4 yrs ago can Hep lay dormat? I work at a hospital non clinical....As you can tell Im very upset and Family Dr is not concerned.Please advise

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 52 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up.

Normally you do not get moderate amount of bilirubin in urine. Hence you are advised to work up as advised in my previous post. Its nice to know that you have been vaccinated for Yes, LFT should be repeated now since your urine bilirubin is raised currently. We cannot correlate it with 6 weeks back liver function report.Also USG abdomen and stool test would be helpful.

In normal healthy individuals Urine bilirubin levels are not affected by period of menses.

Its good that you are seeing a GI, and getting yourself investigated as per his advise.I can understand that you are anxious at this time but trust me you should not be worried and and you are getting yourself evaluated correctly at present.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any follow up questions. You can accept my answer if there are no follow up questions.

Wish you a good health & speedy recovery.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB