Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be worried?

Hello Doc,
My girl friend's period is delayed 11 days. Even today morning she took a pregnancy test (home) which turned out to be negative. So is there anything we should be worried? can you please suggest us what could be done.

More Details:
Her usual periods date is 23rd(+/- 2 days) of every months. But last month(November), she got on 16th itself. But this month, it did not came still.

Btw, this month, she met with a small accident for which she took some antiseptic medicines for few days.
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
You can be assured that pregnancy isn't a factor here.
She has done pregnancy test and it is negative.
The reasons of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here as pregnancy is ruled out.
The delay in periods is not likely to be related to the antibiotics she took due to a minor accident.
In her case, a hormonal disturbance seems to be the most likely cause.
I believe that she should get her periods soon. If at all it doesn't, then she should see her doctor. Some blood tests to test for hormonal imbalance that is causing irregular periods is perhaps entailed.

Currently, I suggest you to wait for a week and then if no periods happen then consider consulting a gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Should I be worried? 9 minutes later
Thanks Doc for your immediate response.

Sorry to bother you again.

It's already 11 days delayed. Is it usual case? Will this affect our future life. I mean giving birth to a child. Cos, we are getting married on May 2013. Am much worried.

Is there anything to consider seriously?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Being late for the periods for the first time is not worrisome. It can be easily treated with a hormone therapy. It is not likely to affect her chances of conception in future. In case this has been happening earlier also, then detailed investigations are needed to know the cause.
But she must consult a gynecologist to know the cause and future treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.