Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Getting periodic cramps. Could it be a cyst or perimenopause?

Hi, I'm 38 years old and have always had fairly regular cycles (wthin the normal range). Last month, I had 3 days of mid-cycle (light) spotting and now I'm 13 days late for my period, which was supposed to begin on Oct. 2nd (28 days after the previous one began). I'm not sure if the spotting screwed it up or what.

Anyway, I've taken several pregnancy tests and all are negative. Leading up to the time my last period was supposed to start on Oct. 2nd, I had cramping which felt like normal pre-menstrual cramping -- was sure my period was on its way, but nothing. I have no other symptoms -- no soreness in breasts, back pain, abdominal pain, indigestion, frequent urination, etc. I also do not have any pain/bleeding after intercourse.

Could it be a cyst? Perimenopause? I've been off the pill for 5 months. I was hoping I was pregnant, but 13 days is pretty late to be testing negative. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Since your pregnancy test is negative and there are no symptoms suggestive of pregnancy, the delay in your periods is likely to be due to a mild hormonal imbalance. If this has happened for the first time then there is nothing to worry. You can consult your gynecologist and get some hormonal tablets prescribed for a withdrawal bleeding.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.