Missing period, started spotting. Pregnancy test negative. Any chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

My period is late and 2 home pregnancy tests had negative results. Last week I had minimal spotting. What is the probability of a positive pregnancy?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you should undergo one blood test for beta-HCG to confirm or exclude pregnancy. Late period with spotting may indicate implantation bleeding. In case of positive test, you may need to undergo one Trans Vaginal Sonograhy (TVS scan) to rule out intrauterine conception. Early home pregnancy test is less significant and may give negative result.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period or irregular spotting are stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like ultrasound scan of pelvis, hormone assay etc) after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.