Missed period for few month. Now started heavy and prolonged period with abdominal pain

Mar 2013
My periods were regular and its was only last cycle that it was delayed by 2 months. The first day the bleeding was high with severe stomach pain in the lower abdomen. Now its nearly more than a week yet there is some flow.. is there some problem, what do I need to do?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 31 hours later

Firstly, the commonest reason I can think of, at your age, is peri menopausal changes, you are approaching the age of menopause and at that time, periods do get irregular, delayed etc.

However, certain other conditions in age group, can cause such a picture, hence, you should see a Gynecologist for detailed evaluation.

First condition is endometrial hyperplasia, in which due to hormonal imbalance, there is thickening of the lining of the uterus, and hence periods are delayed, but when they do occur, they are heavy,painful and prolonged. Certaitypes of hyperplasia can progress to cancer, so you need proper diagnosis, and sometimes D and C and hysteroscopy in addition to pelvic ultrasound for evaluation.

Other possibilities are uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometrial polyps etc which also need proper treatment.

However rare, as your periods were regular, possibility of pregnancy should be considered, which might have aborted leading to such bleeding.

Stress, anxiety, weight gain or loss, thyroid hormone imbalance, frequent travelling, etc - these all can lead to such irregular bleeding.

Please consult a Gynecologist, go for pelvic ultrasound, clinical examination and other relevant tests, for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Also have a Pap smear at this age.

Please take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.
Follow-up: Missed period for few month. Now started heavy and prolonged period with abdominal pain 3 days later
Thanks its nearly more than 2 weeks now yet there s slight flow and also clots. I need to check with a gynacecologist with the test reports
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Hi again,
Please do get the tests I mentioned done.
Just to be sure that we are not dealing with anything serious, but merely peri menopausal changes.
Follow-up: Missed period for few month. Now started heavy and prolonged period with abdominal pain 5 days later
The tests were done and it has been observed that it was cervical pregnacy. is it a serious case? what would be the complications.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Am glad to hear from you again
Cervical pregnancy is a serious case.
Please upload your reports and tests and send them to me.
That will enable me to give you a definitive opinion.