Missed period, blood test, negative pregnancy report, heaviness in lower abdomen. Guidance?

I missed my period in September and went for a blood test which came out negative for pregnancy. I feeling heavy in my lower abdomen. I am very worried. I am 36 years of age. have 2 kids ages 6 and 3. could you please guide me
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

Missed period can be due to various reasons other than pregnancy.Usually Blood test gives accurate results after 10 days of expected period date and is a confirmatory test for pregnancy determination.

Other than that it can be due to hormonal derangements which may or may not be due to any underlying pathology.Sometimes a follicle is also formed in the ovary preventing menstruation.In such case hormonal preparations are prescribed for a fixed time period.

The exact cause can be ruled out after a detailed pelvic examination and USG (ultrasound) scan which would help in giving a clear picture.

Kindly visit a Gynaecologist for evaluation so that appropriate treatment can be started accordingly.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.