Missed period and started spotting. Heavy bleeding after taking etosys. Should I go for a D&C?

Mar 2013
i got my periods after 50 days and it has lead to spotting and hence i visited a gynac. She gave me Etosys and after that i have heavy bleeding. i got scan done and she mentioned that the endocrynal walls are 1.2CC while normal thickness is 4-6 mm and hence bleeding will continue for some time
She said a D&C could also be done
I am wondering whether i should go for a D&C . If so what will be the post procedure care i need to take
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thank you for your health query.
I would really appreciate it if you could attach the report of your ultrasound, since it appears that some words have been mistyped by you probably.
Awaiting your report at the earliest, so that I can assist you better.
Follow-up: Missed period and started spotting. Heavy bleeding after taking etosys. Should I go for a D&C? 4 minutes later
i am not able to upload so i type it in
Plevic ultrasonography (TVS)

Uterus anteverted myometrial echoes fairly homogeneous. no focal changes
endometrium thickness is 1.2 cm
cavity empty
a cyst noticed in left ovary

no free fluid noted in POD

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX,
I have gone through your ultrasound report.
If the scan was done immediately following your bleeding, or during your bleeding, then yes, a thickness of 12 mm ( 1. 2 cm ) is definitely abnormal.
This condition is called endometrial hyperplasia ( thickness of the lining of uterus. )
There are various causes for this.
The underlying reason is hormonal imbalance, which in your case is mostly age related, as during peri menopausal years, this is quite common.
Obesity, polycystic ovaries, diabetes, hypertension , smoking - these are all risk factors.
Certain hormone producing tumours also produce such a picture.
You should definitely go for a D and C as it will diagnose the condition and also tell you whether you need to worry about it developing into a malignancy in the future ( very small risk exists in certain types of endometrial hyperplasia ).
ALso, it guides further treatment protocol, based on the biopsy findings, and also helps in reducing the heavy blood flow
Meanwhile, if the bleeding is not very heavy, you can just go for an endometrial biopsy which is an office procedure, and much less invasive than a proper D and C. Based on the reports, a further hysteroscopy maybe advised.
After D and C, you would be discharged within a day, and no special precautions are required.
Get your blood sugars, BMI, blood pressure, thyroid status also evaluated.

Take care, and am always open to further discussions.
Follow-up: Missed period and started spotting. Heavy bleeding after taking etosys. Should I go for a D&C? 20 hours later
i have one more followup
i did the D&C and have given the sample for biopsy

i still have minor bleeding even after doing it. it is just 8 hrs since i did
is this normal to have still some bleeding
it is like a tinch after urination. it was almost nil for first 7 hrs
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again
It is quite normal to have minor amount of bleeding and spotting following a D and C.
It might happen for a few days, please do not worry.
Stay in regular follow up as advised by your Gynecologist , and follow up the histopathology report also.