Missed period. Pregnancy test is negative. On metformin. Reason for missed period?

Good Day Doc ,

This is XXXX this side again.
Now the problem is that it has already been 28 days since my last periods n i still have not got my periods.
My breasts are very tender since last 2 weeks.
They are paining.
Today i took preg test. It is negative.
I have been taking one tab of metformin since i got well from my infection.., and we are still onboard only.

Please suggest.

Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait 3-5 days & repeat pregnancy test if no period

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX.

It is good to hear from you.

Do not worry. At times, even women with normal menstrual cycles have variations in the duration. As mentioned by you, it has been 28 days since your last period? This is still nothing to worry about.

The breast tenderness can be experienced due a change in the usual hormone levels. Previously your hormones were a different level, when you used to experience late periods, and now that they are more regular, your hormone levels will be a different level. So please do not worry.

Continue with the medication, and keep me updated about the period. We shall wait for about 3-7 days maximum. You should hopefully get your period before that.

Also, regarding your pregnancy status. A pregnancy test will only come positive after at least 2 weeks of the suspected date of conception, or on or after the first day of a missed period. Wait for 3-5 more days, and if you do not get your period, check your pregnancy status again, but this time using an early morning urine sample.

Hoping for the best.

Follow-up: Missed period. Pregnancy test is negative. On metformin. Reason for missed period? 19 minutes later
Thanx a lot doc...ill do accordingly n wud have a wor with u soon..

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not stress, please relax

Detailed Answer:
Sure XXXX.

Keep me posted.

Best wishes.