Mild intermittent pain on the left of navel. ests done. What does it indicate?

what does this indicate?:

Both the kidneys are normal in size and appearance. Cortico- medullary differentiation is maintained. There
is mild fullness of the pelvi-calyceal systems bilaterally. However no obvious calculus is identified.
The right kidney measures 10.3 x 3.9 cms
The left kidney measures 10.8 x 4.7 cms
No evidence of any renal mass or renal calculi noted.
No evidence of ascites or adenopathy

I tend to have less water. And have had mild pain in the left side of my navel since 6 months - it comes and goes.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later

Ultrasound shows that there is mild fullness of pelvi-cortical system. This can point to obstructive nephropathy

Or it may just be a normal variation. It may not be a cause of your abdominal pain.

If there is a small stone or any other pathology which is causing obstruction of the urine passage. It causes back pressure which appears as a dilatation of the collecting system.

You can undergo dtpa isotope scan to rule out obstruction or a contrast-CT Scan kidney-ureter-bladder will also rule out obstruction. All investigation should be done under guidance of your doctor.

Hope this helps.
In case of any further query please ask.

Follow-up: Mild intermittent pain on the left of navel. ests done. What does it indicate? 20 hours later
Could this be a result of chronic dehydration? I tend to have too little water. Also, if it's an obstruction, then how can it affect both kidneys?
One more point - I've shifted to a very high protein diet for weight loss - since last 5-6 months.

Obstruction can affect both kidneys. However, before we go to discuss the causes, I must say first we should prove there is obstruction; it is more likely to be a normal variation.

So kindly do not worry and scientifically, approach the situation under guidance of your treating doctor.