Mild eosinophilia, prone to coughs, colds. Treatment options ?

ENT Specialist
Dear Sir,
I have mild eosinophilia
•     Eosinophils - 07 - Reference range: 1 - 6 %
I am prone to cough and cold.
What can be done here ?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Eosinophils are a type of white blood cells containing certain chemicals that fight against infections and play a role in the body’s immune response.

Normally human blood doesn’t have a large number of eosinophils, but when the count in the peripheral blood exceeds 0.45×109/L (450/μl) it is termed as eosinophilia. The increased production is seen as a response to allergic disorders, inflammation of the skin, and parasitic infections. In your report the eosinophils are mildly increased, denoting a mild allergic reaction.

Recurrent cold and cough is due allergic rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis also known as Hay fever is an antigen-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa characterized by itchy, running, sneezy and stuffy nose. During an attack of rhinitis there will be post nasal discharge which will irritate the posterior pharyngeal wall (the wall of the throat) inducing cough.

Please do not worry, it is a mild eosinophilia, you need to start on steroid nasal spray (fluticasone/momentasone) and antihistaminic (such as fexofenadine/levocetrizine) to reduce the allergic symptoms. Also, you need to drink plenty of warm water to reduce the throat irritation and cough.

Apart from this, you need to follow few preventive measures such as changing the pillow covers, avoid sleeping in front of the blower of the air conditioner or directly under the fan and whenever exposed to dust or smoke to cover the nose with a clean handkerchief.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon