Medication to have period early?

Mar 2013
hi. my due date for my period is 19/02/2014 but i want to get free of my periods early. can u suggest me some medicine that i can take by 15/02/2014 or 16/02/214 and get free by 20/02/2014. i also had a 4 week abortion in december.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. There are two ways you can do what you wish to do. First is to prepone your periods. You would first have to tell me normally in how many days do you have your cycle, and for how long does the bleeding last every month - this is very important. Now, if you have a 28 day cycle, and bleeding lasts for 5 days ( considering average ) - this is the advice. To be period free by 20th of February, you have to finish your periods by then. So the bleeding should start by 15th of February. To induce a period, progesterone medications are given. WHen you take them for 5 days, you bleed within a week of stopping them. So if you start taking them from even today - 9th of February , for 5 days, it will get over by 14th of February. Bleeding can start anytime in the next week, so your purpose will not be solved. Better is to prepone your periods. Start taking the medications around 15th of February, and continue taking for as long as you wish to remain period free. Once you stop, you will bleed within a week, as explained above. The common drugs are - Meprate, Deviry, Primolut - N. All are progesterone preparations. Generally 10 mg thrice a day is what I prescribe to my patients for this purpose, it is best to consult your doctor also for a prescription taking into account your weight, risk factors etc. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Medication to have period early? 33 minutes later
thank you for explaining the process. but still i want to know isn't there any single medicine that i can take. i have a cycle of 28 days and 5 days period duration. i want any single tablet available for preponing or any other substitute to the process you advised. if not please me know how to take ahead the process you mentioned before.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello There is no single tablet that can substitute what I said. If you wish to take the risk, start Meprate from today, for 5 days, stopping on 14th of February. You would then bleed anytime within a week, so no guarantee that you would finish your periods by the 20th. The other method is better, start taking from the 15th onwards, till as long as you wish to avoid bleeding. Then stop, and you will bleed within a week. Take care.