May have UTI, not active sexually. Will amoxicillin help?

I am a 47 yr. old female, not sexually active, I think I have a UTI, but without burning or blood in urine. I have some leftover amocillan from last year - will this help?

(I do not have health insurance).
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later

You do not have any symptoms of difficulty or burning in micturition. This makes the diagnosis of urinary infection less likely.

Amoxycillin is not the drug of choice for urinary infections. bacilli. Amoxycillin is mainly effective against gram positive cocci. This will not help you in urinary infections.

Self medication can be XXXXXXX at times. It is best to consult your primary physician for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: May have UTI, not active sexually. Will amoxicillin help? 22 minutes later
Since I am allergic to Bactrim, what other medications are used for UTI infections?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Other commonly used drugs to treat urinary tract infections belong to Aminoglycosides and/or Quinolone group of drugs along with third or fourth generation Cephalosporins.

Some measures which can help you:
1)Drink lots of water.
2)Empty the bladder completely as soon as you feel the urge to urinate.

4)Wear loose cotton undergarments and wash them in antiseptic solution.
5)Take Cranberry juice as it inhibits bladder infection.
6)Take Vitamin C tablet Celin once a day for few months. It will help in increasing your immunity.

Consider visiting a Urologist for evaluation. Also consider doing a USG scan to rule out any kidney infection.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.