Masturbating from long back. Facing difficulty to have intercourse. Required treatment?

Psychiatrist
Question
i masturbate alot in the last couple years.im 21years old and i have been masturbating for like 3years now.now i find it very hard to have sex with my girlfriend,my penis do go hard and soft often and often while having sex..please help me cos i dont know what to do.im about becoming an impotent which i dont want.please help me.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 22 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query. Your problem is a common one for the youngsters. However, to tell you frankly, this is just a myth or a fad and is not based on scientific truth. Frequent masturbation does not lead to impotence or sexual weakness as you describe.

The reason for erectile difficulty at your age is likely to be inadequate stimulation and waning of sexual interest in a partner. I would suggest trying alternate postures and alternate places during sexual activity as well as adequate foreplay that would ensure adequate stimulation. Despite these measures, if you experience difficulty we would like to rule out other causes like high blood pressure, blood sugar and other local causes that impair blood flow to your genital organ.

Try out the above measures suggested and also remember to be relaxed during the act, since anxiety will impair sexual performance. Breathing relaxation exercises prior to the act might be helpful in reducing anxiety.

I would be happy to answer any further query you would like to post in reply to my answer. Hope you find the suggestions useful.

Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Masturbating from long back. Facing difficulty to have intercourse. Required treatment? 30 minutes later
but i had alot of doctor suggestions online and some are saying this happens due to too much of masturbating and i think masturbation has its own effect so if what am encountering right now is not the effect,so what are the effects and how come some doctors are saying too much of masturbation do leads to impotency

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 9 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

The only relevance, if at all, between excessive masturbation and perception of impotency could be sometimes people tend to substitute masturbation for sexual intercourse considering requirement of less energy and time. Also, excess masturbation could lead to dilution of semen which is also a transient phenomenon. Abstaining from masturbation even for three days will reverse the dilution. However, no literature supports the fact that excess masturbation directly leads to impotency.

The only hazards of excessive masturbation are associated guilt, inability to achieve orgasm during intercourse [since following any orgasm (by masturbation/intercourse), the body requires time to rejuvenate and achieve the next orgasm], and excessive preoccupation with masturbation affecting concentration in your work/studies.

I would be glad to answer any other point you would wish to clarify.

Dr Sundar Gnanavel
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Masturbating from long back. Facing difficulty to have intercourse. Required treatment? 27 minutes later
ok i understand.so what do you think i can do to get out of this effect of masturbation and what can i also do not go hard and soft anymore while having sex no matter any woman i get laid with.my friends get laid with different kind of women,the ones they like and doesnt like and they never complain of going hard and soft because they didnt felt the lady.so how come my own penis have choice,why does it goes hard and soft if i doesnt like the lady.please do i need some medicine to use or some prescription...i really wanna be out of this and be a man

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 hours later
Hi.....
I do understand your concern. What i would suggest is to avoid smoking, consumption of alcohol and inclusion of healthy lifestyle practices like walking/swimming/cycling. You can also try alternate past time activities like music, games etc to distract yourself from masturbation. However, there is a condition called as "compulsive masturbation" which might lead to excessive masturbation. This can be addressed by medication like SSRI's that reduce the compulsive aspect of masturbation (to be prescribed by your consultant psychiatrist after sufficient evaluation). You do not otherwise need any medication at this point of time. All you need is to be confident of yourself. All the best.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist