Massive lump on the base of penis. No signs of reduction. What should I do?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, I have a massive lump on the base of my penis. It started out skin colored but I have been aggravating it so its reddish. The lump feels semi hard. I've had this for about two days and no signs of decrease in size. Please help. Oh and it's completely painless
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hematoma Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone though your question and I can understand what you are going through. The dark red coloured lump that you are describing appears to be a hematoma. Hematomas are collection of blood and they occur cause of minor trauma to the penis, even witb masturbation. Initially tey are skin coloured but gradually there colour changes to dark red. They are painless. And the best part is that they do not require any big treatment. Most of them resolve in 1 week without leaving anything behind. You have to be alert if the swelling develops pain or you develop fever as this is the sign showing thay there is a supra added infecion. Until then there is no ned to worry. Hope I am able to help you with your concerns. If you have any further queries i will be more than glad to help you. If not you can close the discussion. Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Massive lump on the base of penis. No signs of reduction. What should I do? 3 hours later
is there anything I can do to expediate the healing process? I was going to take acetaminophen, take epsom salt baths, and ice it. Is there also a chance this might be an STD?

Brief Answer: Does'nt appear to be an STD Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up query. Time will heal the lesion. There is not much you can do. Applying ice may help. Acetaminophen and epsom bath will not help. The pictures that you have attached do not suggest that it is an STD. As of now it appears more of a hematoma. If its an STD then the lesion should be itching and with surrounding inflammation, which is not the case. You should observe the lesion and wait for 7 days. If it does'nt resolve then it would be wise to show it to a venerology specialist. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD