MRI shows fluid in air cells of mastoid bone. Feeling nausea, stiff neck, headache and hearing loss. Worrisome

ENT Specialist
MRI shows fluid in air cells of mastoid bone. Hearing test shows slight loss in left ear, negative pressure in left ear with significan difference from right to left. I have headahces and dizziness every day. I now also wear a splint for TMJ, and have stiff neck. I have taken 10 day course of pennicillin, did not help. Excedrin, advil, tylenol, aleve, nothing helps. Can all these symptoms be caused by mastoid bone fluid.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

No! All the symptoms you perceive are not related to the fluid in the mastoid bone.

Head & dizziness in your age could be due to the migraine. The symptoms of nausea, stiff neck, headache, dysbalance, are all the classical features of vestibular migraine. Episodes of vertigo (also known as aura) precedes headache and could last for few minutes to an hour before migraine starts and often continues with the headache symptoms associated with nausea.

The actual cause is not known but thought to be due to dopamine related problems in the brain and the fluctuating hormone levels which affect slightly more boys than girls before puberty and vice versa in the later stages.

I do feel it is more of a neurological problem than an ENT problem alone. Your ear symptoms could be related to the blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). This will be taken care of with steam inhalation, mucolytics (such as bromhexine or ambroxol) and drinking plenty of warm water.

I feel you would require a course of Flunarizine with multivitamin containing magnesium and appropriate anti-inflammatory medicines to treat this. I would suggest you to consult a good neurologist for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: MRI shows fluid in air cells of mastoid bone. Feeling nausea, stiff neck, headache and hearing loss. Worrisome 14 minutes later
Also MRI showed dymylination spot of unknown signficance. Could this at all be part of my problem, scared of MS diagnosis. Even though there is only one spot. I do not think this is the cause of my problems now. This has been going on for 2 months, can not see ENT for 2 more weeks, what can I do in the meantime to releive some of my pain. I even wake up with headaches sometimes. The headache never fully goes away. It is always there, sometimes just gets alot worse. I am getting massages, but that just helps to relax me, does really nothing for headaches. Can migrains happen everyday. I am getting frustrated and am scared.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

If the MRI shows demyelination then it is better to consult a neurologist to confirm headache, dizziness, etc. Yes, migraine can happen every day.

I repeat, it looks like a neurological problem rather than an ENT problem; please, consult your neurologist at the earliest.

You are already on anti-inflammatory medicines, continue the same. Also try taking dicolfenac sodium.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon