MRI shows annular disc bulge effaces the thecal sac and lateral recess and foraminal fat. Meaning?

Hi, I have an MRI report that shows "Annular dics bulge effaces the thecal sac at L1/2 as well as lateral recess and foraminal fat.
L2/3 Annular disc bulge effaces the thecal sac. Narrowing of the lateral recess and foranima bilaterally is seen.
L3/4 Annular disc bulge effaces the thecal sac. Thlere is facet overgrowth bilaterally with narrowing of the lateral recess and foramina.
L4/5 Annular disc bulge with facet overgrowth effaces the thecal sac and narrows the foramina bilaterally.
L5/S1 Annular disc bulge with facet overgrowth is present. Narrowing of the foramina bilaterally is seen. The is also central disc protrusion superimposed upon the dics bulge, similar to previously XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

Please note that these MRI changes tell that you have lumbar disc disease. The management part of this problem does not depend upon the MRI data. It largely depends upon the clinical findings. For example,if you have pain only and there are no clinical neurological deficit, you will improve with medications like gabapentine, pregabaline etc along with rehabilitation/physical therapy. On the other hand if you have pain and the neurologist has documented neurological deficit and you have not responded to the above treatment, surgical treatment will be another option.
Please stay relaxed, MRI of spine usually shows these changes when the MRI is advised for back pain. So get evaluated by a neurologist.

Hope this clarifies
Please get back to me in case you have any other concern