MRI showed white matter hyperintensities, in the frontal lobe. Having problem with memory and falling. Related?

I am 56 WF. Over the past 5 years I have had 3 MRI's that all showed white matter hyperintensities, in the frontal lobe, most likely chronic ischemic changes, and an old lacune in the left caudate nucleus head. I have severe problems with my memory and also with falling (I am healing from a broken wrist now). Is there a correlation between these ischemic changes and the symptoms I am experiencing?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am Dr XXXXXXX I will try my level best to help you.

Based on the history you are having issues with the memory loss, after a lacunar infarct 5 years ago and you are wanting to know that is their a correlation between ischemic changes and memory loss as well as falling.

Yes, their is very strong correlation with memory loss and issues with falling due to the ischemic changes in the caudal nucleus.

Here is how its related:- The caudate nucleus was initially thought to primarily be involved with control of voluntary movement. More recently, it has been demonstrated that the caudate is highly involved in learning and memory,particularly regarding feedback processing.

Hence the feedback mechanism is some what compromised in your case due to the ischemic changes in the caudate nucleus area, leading to memory loss and moreover being involved in voluntary movement control center it leads to issues such as falling if compromised.

Hope this answer will satisfy your need, in case of any further query, please feel free to contact me.