MRI showed scattered white matter hyper-intensities in the frontal white matter. Meaning?

Neurologist
Question
Hi, we were in a car accident when my daughter was 6 days old, she is now 4 years old with disabilities, she had an MRI done and it says she has scattered white matter hyper-intensities in the frontal white matter, what does this mean and was the car accident responsible
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 18 hours later
Dear XXXXXX

MRI findings of scattered white matter intensities is unlikely to be related to car accident unless head injury to your daughter was very serious as evidence by prolong unconsciousness, altered sensorium etc.

Perhaps her disabilities and MRI findings are related. Her pediatrician can evaluate if she had birth hypoxia or any other illness. If you can send me full MRI report and relevant MRI films, it will help in giving more information.

You have a feature to upload the reports/images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Pratap

Follow-up: MRI showed scattered white matter hyper-intensities in the frontal white matter. Meaning? 26 minutes later
When we had the accident XXXXXXX was asleep before during and after the accident( and for a new baby that to me is very strange, as a simple noise normally startles a new baby)Scarlett remained asleep for quite a while after the accident but was never given a proper examination, all blood tests were done for toxins, cromazones etc and all came back clear and all the paediatric neurologist said was that is was very rare to see that

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,

I agree with you and pediatric neurologist about unusual nature of event in your baby's case. Frankly, there is no further answer. Suggest if you can send me full MRI report and relevant MRI films, it will help in giving more information to you.

Pratap