MRI showed cyst in ovary. Having pain and blood in urine. Missing periods. What are the complications?

Infertility Specialist
Question
hi my name is XXXXXX i just had done a m r i pelvix and they told me a had couple cyst in my ovary and the biggest is 12mm and i;m having pain and urine blood more than two month already and last month i didn,t get my period what should i do thank you
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I understand your concerns. Following are my comments / suggestion:

1) It is important to mention what is the type of cyst and what are the contents of cyst. Each cyst of ovary is different types. Hence I suggest you see a gynecologist for showing MRI films and report who can advice on further evaluation of cysts.

2) Certain types of cysts ( eg. endometriotic cysts) cause severe pain. Hence it is important to diagnose types of cyst.

3) Blood in urine (hematuria) and pain is more suggestive of calculi (stone) along the urinary tract. Urologist will be able to assess and diagnose the same. Please get a urine examination also done and go to urologist along with that report.

4) Once in a while missed periods do happen to many women. Hence no need to worry. If there was pregnancy , MRI would have detected it. Do a home pregnancy test any way to rule out pregnancy.

5) If there is no pregnancy your gynecologist will prescribe you pills for getting cycles.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & INfertility Specialist.

Follow-up: MRI showed cyst in ovary. Having pain and blood in urine. Missing periods. What are the complications? 23 hours later
DOES THE CYST GET REMOVE WITH SURGERY OR CAN THEY GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO DRINK TO GET READ OF THEM. I HAVE COUPLE OF THEM AND THE LARGEST ONE IS 12MM

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 22 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

1) If it is a simple cyst, it will disappear after one month. There is no drink or tablets necessary or available.

2) Surgery will definitely remove the cyst. Please get a laparoscopy to get cyst removed if it persists. Laparoscopic cystectomy is the best possible solution in such cysts.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & INfertility Specialist.