MRI result showed diffuse disc bulge-osteophyte complex at multiple levels with severe biforaminal narrowing at C5-C6 level. What does it mean?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, yes please I had MRI with the result Diffuse disc bulge-osteophyte complex at multiple levels with severe biforaminal narrowing at C5-C6 level (this could effect both C6 nerve roots)

1- Can this be cured without surgery?
2- Is there any exercise that can help reduce the pain?
3- Is massage good for the above case?
4- Is wearing shoulder corset beneficial ?
5- Any advice you deem appropriate..

Please note that I had rotator cuff operation in April 2012.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Moderate degree of cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen all the reports attached with the query.
1. The MRI scan suggests the degenerative changes in the cervical spine with disc prolapse. These changes are difficult to reverse with medical treatment. We can retard the further progression of the problem with the help of regular physiotherapy. Medicines will help in providing the symptomatic relief. If there are symptoms of surgical treatment is recommended.
2. Cervical isometric exercises and cervical traction will help in reducing the problem. You can do these under the guidance of your physical therapist.
3. Massage can also help to some extent to reduce the symptoms and to regain the muscle tone in the area. This will not reverse the nerve root compression.
4. Wearing shoulder corset will not help you. You can use a cervical collar instead.
5. Other measures that will help include-
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: MRI result showed diffuse disc bulge-osteophyte complex at multiple levels with severe biforaminal narrowing at C5-C6 level. What does it mean? 2 days later
Dear Dr. Tayal,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have additional questions, please:

- What you think caused the case above?
- Does it have to do with Osteoporosis?? (I am taking D3 1000 on daily basis).
- Do you think the medication I am on right now is good enough? That is:-
1) Gabatrex 100 mg - 1 tab daily for one week. then 2 tab/day on week two.
2: Arcoxia 60 mg - 1 tab daily for two weeks..

Waiting for your answer. with thanks.

Best, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
The medicines are correct.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is caused by age related degenerative changes in the spine. Osteoporosis, wrong body posture, lack of regular exercise can aggravate the problem.
You can continue with the medicines that you are taking. In case the pain is persistent then do get a muscle relaxant prescribed from your orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: MRI result showed diffuse disc bulge-osteophyte complex at multiple levels with severe biforaminal narrowing at C5-C6 level. What does it mean? 9 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal,

One more question, please:

Is laser treatment beneficial in my case??
Please advise.

Thank you XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laser can be used.

Detailed Answer:
Low power cold Laser can be used as a part of physical therapy in addition to cervical traction and hot fomentation. Usually in mild cases, all these modalities are not required and medical drugs provide enough relief.
Regards.