MRI for cervical spine, marginal osteophytosis, disc desiccation, thecal sac compression, bilateral neural exit foraminal compression, numbness. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I am XXXXXXX from Delhi, got MRI for Cervical Spine done with the following findings :
a. MR Study reveals straightening of cervical spine with vertebral body degenerative changes in form of marginal osteophytosis. Disc desiccation at multiple levels.
b. Posterior disc bulge causing thecal sac compression and bilateral neural exit foraminal compression at c4-5, c5-6, c6-7 levels.
c. No significant canal stenosis noted.
d. Vertebral body hieght and alignment are maintained.
e. No evidence of pre or paravertebral collection / mass lesion.
f. Visualized spinal cord appears normal with no evidence of any intradural lesion.
g. No evidence of atlantoaxial dislocation or cerebellar tonsillar herniation.
IMPRESSION - Posterior disc bulge causing thecal sac compression and bilateral Neural exit foraminal compression at c4-5, c5-6, c6-7 levels.

kindly suggest the remedy as my right arm is paining and there is numbness in right arm thumb and first fingure ?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Is it little finger or the thumb that you are referring to as the first finger?

I am trying to interpret based on the MRI findings you reported here.

You need to visit a spine surgeon as the bulging discs are compressing your nerves supplying your shoulder/arm the cervical vertebra. That is causing the pain and the numbness.

If the symptoms are tolerable and you don't have any weakness in your arms or fingers, its advisable to wait for a few weeks and try spine stretching and strengthening exercises, analgesics orally and local sprays. You also need to improve your sitting posture. Please seek the help of Physiotherapist about the exercises and sitting postures.

I will available for your follow up queries.

Thank you.

Follow-up: MRI for cervical spine, marginal osteophytosis, disc desiccation, thecal sac compression, bilateral neural exit foraminal compression, numbness. Remedy? 2 days later
Thanks for the reply Dr. Sangeet. As you asked about the fingure , it is the Thumb and the fingure next to thumb.

Also would like to mention that, I consulted Orthopedician and he prescribed the following medicines (twice a day) :
a. Thiocolchicoside 8mg
b. flexon Mr
c. Gabaneuron

Am taking medicines for last 3 days, the pain has reduced a bit (may be because of intake of Voveron MR) but the Numbness in thumb and next fingure still persists. Will the above mentioned enough to cure ?? Also, would like to mention, that this problem started after visiting gym and training with excess weight, Doctor advised not to visit gym for next 7-8 days.

Kindly advise.

Regds,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sangeet 5 hours later
Hello again,

Good to hear from you again.

Your prescription is impressive. He has given you everything you need. Thiocol and Flexon MR are muscle relaxants and Gabaneuron will mend your sick nerves. Your numbness will definitely be better in a few weeks time as Gaba takes some time to act. Its better to continue it.

However, you should start spine exercises under a physiotherapists supervision. Else it gets stiffer day by day. Keep your spine flexible.

At times when the pain is unbearable, you can have Voveran MR prescribed, as it works for you. Also get some hot water bag fomentation and analgesic sprays.

- The problem with most of the patients is discontinuation of exercises, so please continue it for years.

- Have Vitamin B6 and B12 prescribed. These will protect your affected nerves.

- You need to visit an Orthopaedician or a spine surgeon at the earliest if you notice weakness in any part of your arm or have severe pain.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Hope I have solved your queries. For further follow up queries, I will be available.

Thank you.